To be the best Wife, Mom, Daughter, Sister, Friend, and Runner I can be...God willing!

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Words in my Brain

This Saturday I am running my first half marathon.  I have been training since early September and the day is almost here!  I have gradually built up to running between 25-30 miles a week and have been running for about 6 weeks at this mileage.  I have run almost all my runs by myself which means I spend a lot of time alone with my thoughts.

So, what do I think about during these runs?  Early on I listened to music because it was light outside.  However, since I run in the morning, darkness remained for many runs and thus no music.  I thought about my kids, Drew, my friends and family, my to do list, upcoming activities, etc. 

Praying and scripture have also kept my brain busy on my runs.  I pray about all the things I listed above and whatever else popped in my head.  I pray for a successful and safe run..especially those runs in the dark!  It is amazing the things I remembered to pray about.  But, as the miles passed I was done praying too so then what???....Scripture

These are my favorites that kept me going and will keep me going on Saturday!

Philippians 4:13  "I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Hebrews 12:1  "...Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us"
Hebrews 10:35  "So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded."
1 Corinthians 9:24  "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize."
Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Obviously, I know that these words were not written to inspire me to run and run some more. I know they were written for bigger and better things...bigger challenges, better life finishes.  I get that.  But, I also know that God's word was written for me (and everyone) to read, to study, to learn.  I have done this while running and these words will help sustain while running this race on Saturday and during all my other races (not just the running kind!)

As in Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  I trust that running these races are part of God's plan for me.  So, these words give me hope, give me energy, give me confidence that I am running a good race for me and for Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment