To be the best Wife, Mom, Daughter, Sister, Friend, and Runner I can be...God willing!

Monday, February 14, 2011

Ahhh...it's Valentine's Day!

Drew and I don't make a big deal about Valentine's Day at our house.  We never have and I guess it is because my birthday is in four days and Samuel's birthday is in five days.  I am much more of a birthday person!!!

Emma and Jonah are, however, big into Valentine's Day.  So, I decided to make it a day of fun surprises for them.  Their first surprise was a heart shaped PB & J sandwich with a homemade heart shaped Rice Krispy treat for dessert.  Emma told me that her lunch was full of love, which I just loved hearing!  Samuel and Drew had this for lunch too.  It was a big hit so I will have to have think of some variation for next year.

Emma, Jonah, and Samuel has fun parties at school.  Emma was a little jealous of all the candy the boys received, but Jonah was sweet enough to share with her.  Drew and I were super proud of Emma for thinking so much about a special needs boy in her class.  She made him an extra big Valentine and had a plan to give it to him if for some reason he was unable to attend her class party.  Well, he was there and she said he had a good time and received lots of Valentine's.

After our lovely dinner, I gave the kiddos their present.  Each one received a new water bottle filled with Hershey kisses (Elena's bottle only had a few kisses in them).  The boys bottles have dinosaurs on them and the girls have butterfly designs.  They were so excited for a special treat.

Today when I was thinking about love, I decided to read 1 Corinthians 13 from three different versions.  When I prayed with Emma, Jonah, and Samuel before school today I reminded them of God's awesome love for us....so awesome that God gave us Jesus.  I pray that each of my wonderful children enjoy the fun of Valentine's Day because it is fun.  But, I also pray that they know that true love is from God and that they give their all to love like it is stated in 1 Corinthians 13....

....So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.

   Love never gives up.
   Love cares more for others than for self.
   Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
   Love doesn't strut,
   Doesn't have a swelled head,
   Doesn't force itself on others,
   Isn't always "me first,"
   Doesn't fly off the handle,
   Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
   Doesn't revel when others grovel,
   Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
   Puts up with anything,
   Trusts God always,
   Always looks for the best,
   Never looks back,
   But keeps going to the end. 
...Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love. 

I loved the Message version of this...how simple it is and easy for four little blessings and gifts from God to understand!


Happy Valentine's Day Emma, Jonah, Samuel, and Elena

Love Mommy and Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment