To be the best Wife, Mom, Daughter, Sister, Friend, and Runner I can be...God willing!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

5 pm

Something happens everyday around 5p.  It is my least favorite time of day.  The kids are tired, hungry, and ready for daddy to be home.  I am tired, trying to make dinner, and ready for daddy to be home.  I dread this time of day because my kids' bodies become possessed by aliens.  The whining increases to unbearable levels, the arguing increases, the demands increase, etc.  

Why does this happen?  I know this happens to other moms too.  What is it about this time of day?

Today was an exceptionally bad day.  I offer small snacks like carrots, but that does no good. I offer drinks.  I turn on the television.  I referee and still NOTHING! 

I was so thankful that two of the blogs I read this morning referenced scripture about controlling the tongue. 

Proverbs 15:1 “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”  

James 1:19 “Everyone should be quick to listen.”


When they act like alien children, I want to yell because I am tired and frustrated.  Of course, when I yell, the situation usually gets worse because they get frustrated.  It is a bad downward cycle.  Today, I thought of these blogs and what the women authors had written. I thought about these verses and did my best to be a better person.  I was mildly successful.  My bubble burst when they started being rude to each other.  I can't stand rudeness because each one of them...Emma, Jonah, Samuel, and Elena...are better people than that.  So, I raised my voice.  Thank goodness tomorrow is a new day.

On a different note, today was National Running Day.  I planned a cross training workout for today, but decided I had to run today.  I could not call myself a runner if I did not run on National Running Day.  So, I got up at 5:30, laced up my super cool purple sneakers, and took off running.  I had an awesome 5.7 mile run with an average pace of 8:31.  It was a great run!!

No comments:

Post a Comment