To be the best Wife, Mom, Daughter, Sister, Friend, and Runner I can be...God willing!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Focusing....

As the new year approached I began thinking about my goals for the new year.  As they came together in my head, I realized that goals was not the correct term.  The word goals implies tons of pressure and the possibility of failure.  I can do better some days than others, but I can't fail.  So, I decided these are my focus areas for the year.  These are areas in which I hope to improve, grow, strengthen....

Then, as I was thinking about my focus areas, I read a P31 blog about aligning new year's goals with scripture.  I thought that was a brilliant idea and decided to follow this recommendation.  How great to think that my focus areas are supported by God's word!

So, I have four focus areas for the year.  One is to focus on different areas of my relationship with Drew.  That area is between us and God!

The next area is to be purposeful about the words and tone I use with Emma, Jonah, Samuel, and Elena.  Four children can be frustrating...sometimes more one minute, hour, or day than the next. I want them to think of me as a mom with a fiery spirit, but not a mom with mean words or a mom who yelled.  God has LOTS to say about this in the Bible.  I could not pick just one scripture for this area.  My choices are:

Ephesians 4:29  "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." 
Proverbs 21:23  "He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity."
Proverbs 16:24  "Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."
Psalm 19:14  "May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer."

My third growth area is to further my relationship with God!  I plan to read my emailed devotions with more concentration and commit more fully to my Good Morning Girls Group.  Funny thing about this area is my choice of scripture. It is from James, which I decided upon before learning that the GMG material for the Spring was focusing on James.  Proof to me that God supports this goal.

James 4:8, 10  "Come near to God and he will come near to you.  Humble yourselves before the Lord and he will lift you up."

My last focus area is my personal health and running.  I want to eat better....specifically sweets.  Those darn M&M's get me every time.  I have to learn to love them less!  I also have goals (definite goals in which I can fail) for running.  The Bible does not have scripture about running, but it does talk about taking care of one's body.  The Bible also speaks about caring for others and so I have decided that at least 80% of the races I pick to run support a worthy cause.  I want my registration money to do good for others and not just get me a semi-cool t-shirt!

Hebrews 12:1,2  "...let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us...let us fix our eyes on Jesus."
Romans 12:1  "...offer your bodies as a living sacrifice holy and pleasing to God."

New Year's resolutions usually don't last.  People are gung-ho for a month or so, but then life and old habits get in the way.  I am not going to let this happen.  I don't have resolutions.  I have focus areas.  My focus areas are supported by scripture.  And, as it says in Proverbs 16:3  "Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed."  My plans have been committed to the Lord and discussed with Drew.  I am accountable to others...not just me.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with all your goals. I know you will be able to continue to focus on them thorough out the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Semi cool shirts are neat, but running for a worthy cause is better. Saw you on Tall Mom's spreadsheet--good luck with your 1000 mile goal this year!

    ReplyDelete