To be the best Wife, Mom, Daughter, Sister, Friend, and Runner I can be...God willing!

Monday, August 13, 2012

Too much running!

As anyone who regularly reads this blog knows, running at Eagle Camp is my favorite place on earth to run. I cannot get enough views of the lake, the mountains, and the farms. I actually like running up and down all the hills. I like the gravel roads. It is such a wonderful and peaceful change from my norm. I really am in love with South Hero, Vermont.

I also had the opportunity to run with family. That is a great treat for me. Runs fly by with company and constant chatter.

This year I was determined to run here. I knew it would be a challenge with my toe and hip needing to heal. I prayed the time I took off in July would result in great runs at camp. Well, it worked!  I did run.  I loved running for fun instead of knowing I had to complete a run. Pressure free running at its best. However, I will admit I ran way too much.

Not too much in that I hurt myself. I ran too much mileage coming off an injury. Last week I ran 11 miles I think. This week in five days I ran 27 miles!  That is way too much of an increase, but I could not help myself. It was not easy running either. There are tons of hills here so no run is "easy". I did back off the pace and run slower.  That helped.

I hope this crazy increase does not hurt me in a few weeks. I have to spend the next three days driving home so there will be no running. My body will rest. I think I will be okay. 

Look at these pictures and tell me if you could pass up running here.

After cresting this hill you reach the winery. I forgot to take a picture of it. 
This is a bad shot of Sunset Hill, but let me tell you that this hill is a beast.  It seems pretty much straight up which in itself is bad.  Then after reaching the top there is more.  The road turns ever so slightly and you have to keep climbing.  It is just a beast and I vow to run it just once every year. 

This year I looked at my pace at the bottom and I was running an 8:52 pace.  At the very top I was running a labored 9:22 pace.  The thing about climbing it is that you have to come back down.  The road leads to a major road so I always run back down so I can keep running on country roads.  The downhill may be worse than the uphill, but that is certainly debatable.  At the very bottom I was running a 9:35 pace.  I feared I would be rolling down the hill if I ran one step faster.  It is a beast, but I love the challenge!

A lovely view of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks

I love to run up this hill and past the pretty farm.  Of course it leads to more hills, but it is just a great road to run. 

Truly the sky is the limit and it is just peaceful!  I already miss running there!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment