To be the best Wife, Mom, Daughter, Sister, Friend, and Runner I can be...God willing!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The marathon is over...now what?

I rode my marathon high for about two days before reality set in big time.  IT WAS OVER!  Now what??  And, I mean now what in a big, big way.  It was a huge decision for me to decide to run a marathon.  I loved the training process.  I enjoyed the race.  I was happy with my effort during the race and my time.  I truly felt a little lost as to my next running goal or plan or goal or plan or .....

Thankfully, we left six days after the marathon for Colorado.  It was a beautiful (literally) distraction from my brain and all my thinking about running.  I had so much fun doing nothing to worry about it too much.  However, I did use the time to come to some realization as to what to do next.  There was something in the mountain air that helped me achieve clarity.

After the race, I felt like a kid on Christmas morning.  There was all this build up and anticipation and excitement.  The unwrapping/running occurred and then it was over.  It was a little depressing to be totally honest.  It was made even harder because I was too sore to run.  My stress reliever was not available to me.  This morning I read an article about what to do after a marathon and the author compared it to the feelings on the day after Christmas!  How crazy coincidental is that?!

So, what is my plan.  I have decided to run the Zooma Half Marathon in Annapolis in June.  I am totally psyched about the race.  I get to spend the weekend with my sister and her family.  I get to run in Annapolis, which is a place I totally adore.  The half marathon is my favorite distance so I think this is the perfect follow up race for me.  I have yet to decide if I am going to run for fun or race it, but that does not matter.  I am just excited about what is next.   Plans make me happy!

2 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY what you mean!! I think the longer the race- the longer to takes to get over. It's great you have a good half lined up so soon. I finally got around to looking at my upcoming race schedule. Mostly 5-10's in the immediate future. It just gets so hot around here that there are almost no decent half or full marathons during the late spring/ summer months.

    HM's are my favorite distance too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited you are going to be there! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete