To be the best Wife, Mom, Daughter, Sister, Friend, and Runner I can be...God willing!

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Run for the Rose 5K

This is one of my favorite races because we all participate.  I run the competitive 5K.  Drew and the kiddos run/walk the family 5K.  When I finish running I double back until I meet up with them and we all finish together.

The race benefits brain cancer research which is a charity I love.  A good friend's husband is a survivor and I used to work with brain injured adults.  That is different I know, but I have a special place in my heart for all things related to our crazy and amazing brains!

So, off we went this morning.  Is this just a wonderful site?  Everyone in my family had a bib.  I heart that very much!

I was very unsure about this race.  In two attempts at 5K pace during recent runs my legs were just not feeling it.  I don't know if it was still from the marathon, our trip to CO, random tiredness, or just bad days.  Whatever it was I did not have the confidence I needed to run a great race.  In fact, I realized this morning that I have not run a 5K since this race last year.

The first mile was interesting.  I got stuck back farther than I preferred.  This required some weaving which I hate.  It uses too much energy. Then I had the pleasure of being cut off by some young boy...by young I mean maybe 12.  I actually had to put my hand on his back so we would not crash.  Then he kicked me in my knee with my scar from the fall which still hurts.  I was thrilled.  Children with no running etiquette should stay in the back...just my opinion.   Despite all this my split was 6:55...my fastest race mile ever and I knew I would be in trouble.

The second mile was harder and I knew my pace slowed.  I ran a 7:19.  At this point, I was beginning to feel like I could not breathe.  It was foggy and humid and it was messing with my breathing.  I really wanted to walk, but decided to just slow my pace.  There was no way on earth I was going to walk in a 5K!  My third mile was 7:42 which was not too awful considering a hill (overpass walkway...there are no hills in Houston) at the end of mile three. 

I started to pick up the pace at the end of the third mile.  I wanted to be finished so I kicked as much as I could and finished in 23:37 (a 7:02/mi pace for the last bit).  I had hoped to run faster, but truly did not think it was possible.  So really I don't have much to be disappointed about, but I still am.

I finished 6th in my AG, which is at this race is 30-39.  If it would have been every five years I would have placed.  Those darn 30 year olds were just too speedy today!

After I finished I found my family around 1.2 miles.  I had so much fun running and walking with them.  Elena ran for about a block and then we tried to keep her in the stroller.  Emma was a stinker and wanted to walk today.  Jonah ran with me for a little while.  But much to my surprise Samuel wanted to run with me and run he did!  He probably ran approximately 2 miles.  I was so proud of him.  He told me he needed to walk just before mile 3.  I pointed out how near the finish was and told him to keep running.  He did!  What a boy...he did great today!
The post race party is amazing and very kid friendly.  The boys and Elena enjoyed a jumper.  Emma had her face painted.  We also enjoyed samples of some amazingly yummy food!
Despite my personal annoyance with myself, I had a fun morning.  I had a great time with my family.  It is wonderful to show them how running can benefit a great cause and be fun!

2 comments:

  1. Great job!! You are right about those 30 year-olds... Hardest age group ever!

    They did a really good job painting your daughter's face! Looks like you all had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humidity makes running tough! Congrats on a great 5K finish time! I just came across your blog - congrats on a great marathon finish time at the Woodlands, too!

    ReplyDelete