To be the best Wife, Mom, Daughter, Sister, Friend, and Runner I can be...God willing!

Monday, February 27, 2012

My getaway

This past weekend was our church's women's retreat.  The theme was "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!"  I was all in when I saw that....love that verse and a weekend away equals double bonus.

Well, it was not all I made it up to be in my mind.  Unfortunately for me I did not really connect with the speaker's message.  I was quite disappointed by this.  Her messages seemed too lofty and scholarly for me.  I do not enjoy almost two hour discussions/lectures on who I am and who God is.  I guess I am more of a simpleton.  I try not to think too much about things.  I know who I am and I know I need work...who doesn't?  I know who God is and I know I can know Him better/more, but I just can't do it for two hours.  I just can't do it.

Thankfully, as is with most things, there were some takeaways for me.  Sunday's session helped to redeem the weekend for me.  There was a lot of discussion about Lent.  I thought this was strange because of the verse, but oh well.  I always have thought about Lent as a time of personal sacrifice.  A time when I can give of something that challenges me so I can perhaps better understand the sacrifice God made for me.  I realize that is very simplistic...again I think I am a simpleton...,but it has worked for me.  This weekend Lent was presented in a much different way.  Our speaker discussed Lent as a time to make room for God.  A time to prepare room for God in your life, in your heart, in your whatever.  So, for example, if I spent too much time focusing on something that used up my energy I would give that area of concern to God.  If I was a worrier, I would focus on not worrying during Lent.  I would give it to God.  Just like that!  Hopefully the process would allow me to see the different ways God worked in my life during Lent and hopefully deepen my relationship with Him.

So, where does this leave me.  I honestly do not know.  I appreciate the new way of thinking about Lent.  I still like my interpretation of Lent.  I think they can both work for me.  I guess I will have to see where I feel moved!

Oh, and what did I really enjoy about the retreat....all my girl time. I had so much fun getting to know and know better different women from church.  The property was so pretty and we had a lovely fun walk on Saturday afternoon.  Game time was fun.  Personalities flourish in such a setting and that was fun to see.  Despite not feeling "filled" with the message, I still felt "filled" by the fellowship.

No comments:

Post a Comment