To be the best Wife, Mom, Daughter, Sister, Friend, and Runner I can be...God willing!

Monday, April 9, 2012

Goodbye Grandma

Last week we returned to PA to say goodbye to my Grandma.    She had been sick for too long.  She was 83.  She lived a very fulfilling life.  She shared all her stories, all her passions, and all her values with me and my family.  She was ready for her "forever home."  She was ready to be with my Pop, my Granny, and all her other family and friends.  On Thursday March 29th, she did just that.

Amongst more tears than I can count, we said goodbye.  I comforted my children and my nieces.  I needed comfort from my husband.  I marveled at how strong my mom was throughout the viewing and the funeral.  I was jealous of how connected my sister is to our extended family in PA.  Living in Texas is hard.  It is even harder at times like this.

But, reality is what it is and I can't change that.  I was sad, but also so happy for my Grandma.  She was whole and at peace.  It has been a long time since anyone of us could say that about her.  She was in heaven with Jesus just where she wanted to be.  How could I be not be happy? What a gift to be able to celebrate her life during Holy Week!  It was very powerful!

This is the last picture I have of her with my kids.  It was taken last summer....8 months ago. Living in Texas is hard!

She loved her grand kids and they loved being with her.  They knew she had a candy stash somewhere.  They knew she would play card games with them all day long.  They knew she would listen to their endless silly stories.  They knew she loved them. 

Lots of people loved my grandma and I was thankful to be with my larger family for a few quick days.  We enjoyed sharing stories about Grandma, catching up with each others lives, and just having fun being together.  It was definitely a time to rejoice!
My Grandma's two children and their families
My cousins Zach and  Meg and my sister Kelsey
Good-bye Grandma...I love you!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry for your family's loss. It is always so bittersweet saying goodbye to Grandparents. Will keep your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete