To be the best Wife, Mom, Daughter, Sister, Friend, and Runner I can be...God willing!

Monday, April 23, 2012

I found the long run

I have been running pretty much five days a week since the marathon.  Running helped ease the soreness and I have gradually built back distance and speed.  Since I am not training for a marathon there is not much need to run long.  I should clarify and state that I don't really consider 10-12 miles to be long anymore.  It is long, but not really long! 

But, I have missed running long.  I love being out on my own just me and my thoughts.  I missed thinking about my legs being really tired.  I missed having all that time to pray.  I missed pushing myself...challenging myself...making myself stronger!

This past week it was time.  I needed a long run and I got a great long run.  I ran 15 miles with the goal of 6 at 8 minute mile pace.  After that I wanted to push the time still and finish strong.  Races for me are not great unless I finish strong.  I work hard so I have enough left to finish and finish STRONG!

I actually ran 7 miles at my goal pace.  My times were 8:00, 8:07, 7:42, 8:04, 7:52, 8:00 and 8:08.  These were miles 7-13.  I had already run 6 miles so my legs were not fresh and I worked for these times.  The best part was I could have gone harder for longer.  However, I don't want my long runs to be my races.  I want to challenge myself and know I can do more.  This run proved that to me.

Overall my 15 mile time was 2:07 with an average pace time of 8:28.  Gunning for a 1:45 half is crazy fast for me and it will be a HUGE challenge.  Again, without BIG GOALS there is not much point to this.  The goal is there and the belief is starting to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment