To be the best Wife, Mom, Daughter, Sister, Friend, and Runner I can be...God willing!

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Our garden

Drew grew up on a little farm in Virginia and being outdoors doing outdoorsy kind of things is his thing.  Unfortunately living in a subdivision in Spring, TX limits how much outdoor kind of things Drew gets to do.  Luckily for us we have a pretty decent size backyard so we have a lovely small garden. 

Drew and Samuel have a passion for growing yummy vegetables, fruits, and herbs.    Every year he grows tomatoes, lettuce, and cucumbers.  Our herbs are always the same....mint, basil, parsley, and oregano.  Last year he added blueberries.  This year he and Samuel are trying to grow watermelon.
No watermelon yet, but the plants are really growing fast!
All I can say is that I am one lucky person.  Drew hates tomatoes.  He really hates them, but he loves to grow them.  You can only imagine how many tomatoes I eat each day when these things turn red...it is a lot!
We have cherry and big tomatoes.
The cucumber have been amazing.  The lettuce is yummy.  We have been eating salads almost every night.  And, I love cooking with fresh herbs.  Not much is better than Italian food with fresh basil and oregano!
Herbs
Three different kids of lettuce and the blueberries
Cucumbers
Samuel loves to help Drew water the plants.  What he really loves to do is pick the vegetables.  Drew and I have to remind him daily that tomatoes need to be red when picked and the cucumbers should be long.  It is kind of funny.  I often have greenish/reddish tomatoes on the kitchen windowsill to ripen.

When Samuel is not helping Drew he and the others are doing this.  Lately, they have been doing this while eating their Popsicles!
Goodness, they are so cute!

2 comments:

  1. I love the garden! - And my kids would love that swing set!! Looks like you are having some great weather... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice garden!! This is my first year doing a "big" one and Im super excited. Ive only been able to harvest spinach and lettuce so far but its been worth it. I cant wait to get more from it.

    ReplyDelete