To be the best Wife, Mom, Daughter, Sister, Friend, and Runner I can be...God willing!

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Two Years

Two years ago I registered to run my first half marathon.  I kind of thought I was nuts.  I kind of thought it was an achievable goal.  Really I had no idea.  I had never run more than 4 or 5 miles at one time.

Two years ago I decided to run a 10K on a triathlon team with by brother in law.  I thought it would be good practice for the half.   Again, it would be the farthest I had ever run.

Prior to these decisions I ran maybe three days a week...maybe!  I went to boot camp twice a week.  I played with my kids.  I slept in every day.  I ate pretty much whatever I wanted to eat.  I pretty much did not put too much thought into the entire health picture.

Two years ago I was so happy to finish my first six mile run.  It was a big accomplishment and it was tiring!  I finished the half and it was torture.  I swore I would never run a marathon.  Why on earth would anyone want to run that far?  It seemed like total craziness to me! 

Well, fast forward two years and everything is radically different.  I am training to run my fifth half marathon.  I now run 5 or 6 days a week and can't imagine running fewer days than this.  I only sleep in one day a week maybe.  I pay attention to everything I eat (well just about everything!).   Oh, and I ran a marathon.  Life is different and I am so thankful for it.

I don't remember what compelled me to register for that half marathon, but I am so thankful that I did.  Everything about my life is better because of that one decision.  I am healthier.   My family is healthier.  My children are learning about pursuing dreams and challenging oneself.  They are learning what it means to be dedicated to something.  They are learning that winning is not the end all be all, but doing your best is what matters.  I am learning these things as well.

Running is as much a part of my life as it is my family's life.  Elena puts on my hats and says "I go running like you!"  Someday baby we will run together and I cannot wait!  Samuel rides a little toy bike when I run on the treadmill.  He says that he is in training!  They all know I love chocolate milk when I get home from a long run.  I could not run as much as I do without a supportive family.  I could not race as much as I do without them.  I need their support! 

I had no real goals when I set out on this journey.  Now I have goals galore!  They might be far reaching, but I must Goal Big.  That is how I work.  I thrive on the challenge of being better.  I want to be better.  I believe I can be a better and faster runner. 

Who knew this would happen with one little decision? 
Who knows what the next two years will bring?
Who knows what the next two years will teach me and my family?

Who knows....but I look forward to the journey!

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!  Phil4:13

Be strong and courageous, for your work will be rewarded!  Chronicles 15:7

Commit your actions to the Lord and your plans will succeed.  Proverbs 16:3

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.  2 Timothy 1:7

1 comment:

  1. That's great that you've made so many healthy changes in only two years - with healthy eating and running, too!

    ReplyDelete